Zaalouk (a Maroque recipe)
ready in 1 hour
This classic Moroccan salad is a fiddle to make but the finished result knocks spots off the readymade ones. You can add a crushed red chilli if you like a bit of heat.
2 large aubergines
3 large tomatoes
2-3 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
100ml of Argan oil or good olive oil
1 tbls of chopped fresh coriander
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
juice of 1 lemon (to taste, less may be needed)
ground cumin to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200c. Put the aubergines on a baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes, until soft when pressed. Put the tomatoes in a oven proof dish with 1/2 oil and roast for about 5 minutes to 10 minutes.
2. Remove both the aubergines and tomatoes from the oven and allow to cool. Cut the aubergines in half and scoop out the flesh and chop to a pulp.
3. Skin the tomatoes and remove the seed and chop the flesh also to a pulp.
4. Heat the other half of the oil in a pan, add the garlic and fry but don't colour. Add the tomatoes, aubergines, and paprika and fry gently for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring regularly to stop the bottom scorching.
5. Add the lemon juice, coriander and salt to taste. Pour into a bowl and dust with cumin. Eat either warm or room temperature with bread.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Why not download our free cook books here
Show your dish off to its best, on our authentic handcrafted Moroccan pottery, find the full range here
Buy our lovely Argan oil here