Winter fruits in ginger syrup with cardamom yoghurt (a Maroque recipe)
ready in 1 hour
These heavenly winter tasting fruits are lifted by the aromatic yoghurt, the resulting dish is surprisingly light. You can use any selection of soft dried fruit
150g demerara sugar
Peel of 1 lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1 dried lime cracked
60g crystalised ginger, cut into matchsticks
6 soft dried figs, cut in half
6 dates, stoned and cut in half
12 soft dried apricots, cut in half
160g tub of greek style yoghurt
a few, 5 or 6, cardamom seeds crushed
1. Place the sugar in a pan add the water, lemon peel, cinnamon, lime and ginger.
2. Bring to boil, stir to ensure the sugar has dissolved. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. Add the fruit and return the pan to a low heat, slowly bring back to the boil and then turn dowm and simmer the friuts for 10 mintutes. Take off the heat and leave to steep for 30 minutes.
4. To make the cardamom yoghurt, mix the crushed seed into the thick yoghurt and chill until needed. Ideally for ay least 30 minutes.
5. To serve spoon the fruit and a little of the ginger and syrup into small glasses, a cocktail glass is ideal, and spoon a little cream on top.
Buy your Dried Limes here
Looking for more recipe ideas? Why not download our free cook books here
Show your dish off to its best, on our authentic handcrafted Moroccan pottery, find the full range here