Chicken tagine with dates (a Maroque recipe)
ready in 1 hour
This wonderfully warming, comfort laden tagine is a sure fire way to cheer yourself up on a bitter winter's day.
Chicken quartered or legs & thighs for 4
1 large onion cut into rings
1 large garlic cloves crushed
4 tablespoons olive oil
25g (1oz) fresh ginger finely chopped
Juice 1 lemon
2 tablespoon honey
10 dates, stones removed and cut into quarters
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp orange blossom water
1 pint vegetable stock
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan stir in the onions and cook until soft and coloured. Add the garlic and ginger and cook gently for a minute. Stir in the cinnamon and tip into a tagine or casserole dish.
2. Brown the chicken in the same saucepan and transfer to the tagine.
3. Add the stock to the chicken and onion mixture in the tagine and stir well, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Put in the oven on a medium heat, 190C, for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours until cooked.
5. Remove tagine from oven and add the dates, honey, lemon juice and orange blossom water. Stir well and return to the oven for 20 minutes, until the dates are soft, and the sauce is a nice consistency.
6. Serve with roasted vegetables and couscous.