Grilled aubergines in honey and harissa (a Maroque recipe)
This sweet, sticky, spicy dish has a fantastically decedent quality to it, one of the best ways to have aubergine, and if you can get hold of the baby ones even better.
2 aubergines, peeled and thickly sliced|
Olive oil for frying
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
5cm (2in) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp harissa
3 tbsp clear honey
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the grill or griddle. Dip each aubergine slice in olive oil and cook in a pan either under the grill or in a griddle pan. Turn the slices so they are lightly browned on both sides.
2. In a wide frying pan, fry the garlic in a little olive oil for a few seconds, then stir in the ginger, cumin, harissa, honey and lemon juice. Add enough water to cover the base of the pan and to thin the mixture, then lay the aubergine slices in the pan.
3. Cook the aubergines gently for about 10 minutes, or until they have absorbed all the sauce.
4. Add a little extra water if necessary, season to taste with salt.
5. Serve at room temperature with chunks of fresh bread to mop up the juices.
printed from www.maroque.co.uk