Marinated aubergines with tahini dressing
ready in 30 mins
This gorgeous, silky, strongly flavoured dish is my take on a recipe by the wonderfully talented Ottolenghi. This is seriously addictive; you will need to make lots!
3 aubergines, thickly sliced, or small ones, cut in half
Olive oil for brushing
For the marinade:
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, not too hot
2 tbsp of fresh coriander, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
For the tahini dressing:
3 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp water
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the griddle. Brush each aubergine slice in olive oil and griddle for 3 minutes a side. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
2. While the aubergines are baking, mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl that will hold the aubergines. As soon as the aubergines are soft and dark, slide them into the marinade and gently combine. Leave to marinade for about an hour.
3. To make the tahini dressing, mix the tahini, lemon juice and garlic together season with salt and pepper to taste. This should have the consistency of double cream. If it is too thick add a little more water.
4. To serve, arrange the marinated aubergines on a plate and drizzle over the tahini dressing.
5. Serve at room temperature with chunks of fresh bread to mop up the juices.