Harira (a Nomades recipe)
ready in 2 hours
Moroccan lamb broth with lentils & chickpeas.
500g lamb cut into small cubes
1 large onion, peeled & finely chopped
100g lentils, soaked and drained
100g chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
100g of sliced celery
200g chopped tinned tomatoes
2 tbsp of Nomades Lamb Tagine spice mix
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon (optional)
salt & ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp of sunflower oil
water to cover
4 tbsp of butter ghee or salted butter
100g fine vermicelli
3 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
3 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp of plain flour
1. Heat the sunflower oil in a large saucepan and add the first 9 ingredients. Stir well and sweat for a couple of minutes. Add the water to cover and gently bring to the boil.
2. Whilst the broth is starting to boil, make sure you skim all froth from the surface. Add half of the butter. Stir and cover with a lid, then turn down the heat to a gentle simmer. Leave to cook for between 1 1/2 - 2 hours, top up with a little water if necessary.
3. Add the vermicelli, stir well and continue to cook for a few minutes.
4. To finish the soup, dilute the flour in little water, stir in the tomato puree, chopped coriander & parsley, then add to the soup. Mix thoroughly, add the remaining butter and adjust the seasoning to suit your taste. Serve immediately.
5. A squeeze of lemon juice in each bowl will enhance this wonderful broth.
Serves 4 generously.