Ras el Hanout lamb (a Seasoned Pioneers recipe)
ready in 15 mins
This simple dish is a great recipe to try, the complex flavours of the Ras el Hanout are very different. Not a quick dish, but not difficult. The quantities of the spice make the dish quite spicy, if you like something milder, you may wish to half the spice mix the first time you make it.
2 tbsp of olive oil
500g (1lb) lean lamb cut into bite sized chunks
2 large onions chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
30g (1oz) sliced almonds toasted
2 tsp Ras-El-Hanout spice blend
2 tbsp honey
1 pint of vegetable stock
salt and black pepper
1. Add the oil to a large saucepan or deep-sided frying pan and fry the onions and garlic until brown. Set aside.
2. Fry off lamb until coloured, add onions and garlic back into the pan.
3. Add Ras el Hanout, salt and pepper stir well to coat everything.
4. Add vegetable stock and bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes.
5. Add the honey and continue to cook for 30 minutes, until the lamb is very tender.
6. Serve with rice and scatter the toasted almonds over as you serve it.