This entry was posted on July 22, 2013.
Every family in Tunisia has their own version of this classic egg dish, this is my version, with peppers, onions, cumin, and coriander scattered over to serve. Eat with lots of bread to mop up the fantastic sauce.
4 medium eggs
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 onion finely sliced
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin seed
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp cayenne
A handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oven to 180 oc. Add the oil to a pan, and fry the onions & cumin for 5 minutes.
2. Add the peppers, garlic, sugar & cayenne to the pan and fry for a further 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and fry on a low heat for 20 minutes, add salt & pepper to taste.
3. Divide the peppers & onion mix between 2 long ramekin dishes, and create 2 wells in the sauce, gently break an egg into each well, sprinkle a little salt on the eggs..
4. Cover the dishes with foil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, checking to see how they are setting, when just set remove from oven.
5. Sprinkle with the fresh chopped coriander, and serve with bread.
Enjoy the recipe?
Why not down load the cook books. Here