In need of a little Moroccan sunshine?
I know, keep dreaming J . But you can create a little drop of Moroccan shine with this lovely tagine. Scents of the promise of summer wrapped up in the comfort blanket of warming rich saffron flavours, just the thing to lift flagging spirits and bring a smile.
Tagine with peas, preserved lemon and olives
1kg (2lb) lean lamb or beef, cubed
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
Pinch of chilli powder, optional
1/4 tsp of saffron threads, lightly crushed
500gm peas, shelled weight
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Peel of 1 preserved lemon, cut into pieces
12 green olives
1. Put the meat in the pot with the oil, onion, salt and pepper, ginger, chilli and saffron.
2. Cover with water and cook covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the meat is very tender, adding water to keep it covered in the sauce.
3. Add the preserved lemon peel and olives and cook uncovered for 10 minutes or longer, until the sauce reduced.
4. Add the peas and coriander, and warm through.
5. Serve with bread or couscous.
Pre-heat oven to 180C (gas mark 4). Serves 4 - 6
Enjoy the recipe?
Why not down load the cook books. Here